Loading...
BYH to those who were indoctrinated in the 2016 campaign and didn't even know it. I wonder how many shared fake news...

Firefighters battle house fire, icy road conditions

Loading…

By Tyler Stocks
The Daily Reflector

Sunday, January 7, 2018

Multiple fire departments responded to a house fire on Worthington Road near D.H. Conley High School about 5:16 p.m. Saturday.

“Flames were coming from the back of the house and were 10-15 feet high,” Eastern Pines Fire-Rescue Chief Gary Arnold said. “The homeowners were able to make it safely outside before crews arrived, and there were no injuries.”

The fire started in a crawl space upstairs. The homeowner was soldering frozen pipes and accidentally set a wall stud on fire.

Arnold urges people to exercise extreme caution when heating up pipes.

“If you’re not experienced, avoid using an open flame,” he said. “Most importantly, don’t leave it unattended.”

Crews from Ayden Fire Department, Winterville Fire Department and Winterville Community Fire Department responded as well.

Ayden Fire Chief Samuel Jones said his department was dispatched to the scene to help with water supply operations after a water tanker truck malfunctioned due to cold weather.

“A water tanker truck malfunctioned, and we had to send one to the scene” Jones said

Road conditions caused a delayed response for most departments as well.

“Worthington Road was nothing but solid ice,” Jones said. “I fell when getting out of the truck.”

The blaze was contained in 20 minutes; according to Arnold, the house should be salvageable.

Loading…