Loading...
BYH PCS, project for carpentry class, replace glass panels in doors with solid wood with dual magnified peep hole...

Firefighters attack early morning house fire in Winterville

Loading…

By Tyler Stocks
The Daily Reflector

Sunday, January 14, 2018

WINTERVILLE — Several fire departments responded to a house fire on Railroad Street near W.H. Robinson Elementary School at 1:26 a.m. Sunday.

“The fire began in the walls surrounding the chimney and quickly spread to the ceiling of the house,” Winterville Fire Department Chief David Moore said.

Moore said a man used a wood stove to heat a house he was renovating, and that heat from the stove caused the the chimney and surrounding walls to catch fire.

Winterville Fire Marshal Tony Smart stressed the importance of chimney inspections. 

“Anybody that uses a fireplace or wood stove exclusively to heat the home need to make sure they have their chimney’s checked annually,” Smart said. 

Heating is the second leading cause of home fires, deaths and injuries in the U.S., according to the National Fire Protection Association.

“In cold weather, we have to stay warm, but people need to use heating appliances as they're intended,” Moore said. “Also, regardless of what you're using to heat your home, be extremely cautious with any type of heating, especially in cold weather.”

The fire was extinguished in 30 minutes and no injuries were reported.

Firefighters from the Town of Winterville Fire Department, Winterville Community Fire Department, Ayden Fire Department and Red Oak Fire Department responded.

Winterville EMS, Winterville Police Department, Public Works and Winterville Electric Department were also dispatched to the scene.  

The house was heavily damaged in the fire. 

 

Loading…