Fatal fire ruled accidental
By Tyler Stocks
The Daily Reflector
Thursday, October 4, 2018
The fire that claimed the life of a Greenville woman has been ruled accidental due to misuse of smoking materials according to Greenville Fire-Rescue officials.
Mary Mills, 83, was found deceased in her two-story brick home located at 4105 Cornwall Court. The medical examiner’s office said Mills died from smoke inhalation and thermal burns.
According to an official fire report, upon arrival, an ambulance crew tried to make contact with someone at the home. When crew members got to the door, they noticed smoke coming from the inside of the residence, so they returned to the ambulance to don protective gear to make a quick entry.
A fire engine was en route to the medical alarm and arrived on scene shortly after the ambulance. Upon arrival, the officer in charge noticed moderate smoke and asked 911 communications to dispatch a full structure fire alarm.
According to the fire report, the fire was just on the other side of the wall from the kitchen and was about 10 feet wide and going up the wall separating the fire room from the kitchen, the report stated. The fire room is the area where most of the fire is located. The room was searched by scanning with the thermal imaging camera. A window was opened to try and get some of the smoke out.
The report also said that a quick interior search of the structure was performed. Once inside the kitchen, firefighters noted a glow of fire in the next room. They made their way to the source of the fire and extinguished it using about 100 gallons of water.
Firefighters also broke out a rear window to help ventilate some of the smoke and help with visibility, the report said.
Upon the completion of the joint investigation with Greenville Fire-Rescue, the Greenville Police Department, and the medical examiner’s office, the fire was ruled accidental.