School bus catches fire; no injuries
The Daily Reflector
Thursday, September 21, 2017
A school bus caught fire in the D.H. Conley High School parking lot Thursday morning, according to Pitt County Schools officials.
The back of the bus, where the engine is located, started bellowing smoke around 9:30 a.m., Travis Lewis, director of community and student services, said. No one was on board the parked bus at the time of the fire and no one was injured.
The fire was extinguished before Greenville Fire-Rescue arrived. Lt. Kip Gaskins of the Pitt County Sheriff’s Office said a school resource officer saw the fire, grabbed an extinguisher and called for another SRO to help put out the fire.
Lewis said the fire was electrical in nature, and though the bus is damaged it is repairable.
“We can assure parents safety is the top priority with our students,” Lewis said. “Our safety team is in top of it.”
A replacement bus was provided shortly after the fire, and officials said there should be no changes for students departing school this afternoon.