Previously opposed neighborhood revision expected be approved
By Seth Thomas Gulledge
The Daily Reflector
Tuesday, May 15, 2018
Residents in the Paramore Farms neighborhood said their concerns over a previously opposed plat design have been addressed and the design is expected to pass at tonight’s Planning and Zoning Commission meeting.
A request by Bill Clark Homes to revise an existing plat at Paramore Farms first was considered at the commission’s April meeting. The revision would take 15.3 acres and divide it into 48 lots, instead of the 26 lots approved in 2005.
The section just north of Donald Drive is the last undeveloped part of the Paramore neighborhood. During the April meeting, about 30 residents protested the project, saying they felt blindsided by the design change and expressing stormwater and traffic concerns.
City Attorney Emanuel McGirt advised the commission it could only deny the request if the revision failed to meet a specific and technical requirement. However, the vote for the revision was postponed for Tuesday at the request of Bill Clark Homes and neighborhood residents, so they could address concerns privately.
Lance Clark said that the company met with people from the neighborhood and cleared up many of their concerns. He said that unforeseeable circumstances led to a presentation not being delivered to the homeowners association, and that led to the controversy. Now that the company had time to explain its plans, he said, everyone was content with the revision.
Tom Spence, president of the Paramore Homeowners Association, agreed with Clark, saying the follow-up meeting had placated the residents. He said he did not expect resistance to today’s vote. Spence said residents were especially concerned with stormwater and flooding, and an explanation of a retention pond that will be installed on the north side of the plat cleared up much confusion.
Landon Weaver, a representative of Bill Clark Homes, said the revision is the result of a changing housing market and an effort by the developer to complete the neighborhood.
“This was originally approved before the recession, there were a lot of things that were more feasible during that time period,” he said. “So we don’t think there’s any negative impact as far as surrounding property owners because we’re already building that property in the neighborhood and we’re just having an extension of that which is selling well, doing well and seems to be demand for in the city of Greenville.
“We feel like it’s a great fit to continue with the same product in this neighborhood,” Weaver said.
Other residents concerns included traffic. Glenn Cauvin, a 10-year resident of the Paramore neighborhood, said during the April meeting he was concerned that the revision would increase traffic, which recent road upgrades on each side of the neighborhood already would make worse.
He asked the city to commission another traffic study, looking at adding more speed bumps and stop signs to deter cut-through traffic.
“Fire Tower and Evans are going to be two major upgrades in the city and people are going to cut through our development so anything you can do to help us out on that,” he said. “The engineers say we don’t qualify. Well I don’t know about that; he or she doesn’t live there.”
The city’s traffic engineer, Rick DiCesare, said the city only can study traffic once a problem exists. He said the city would consider another study after the improvements were made to determine if there was a need.
Contact Seth Gulledge at email@example.com and 252-329-9579. Follow him on Twitter @GulledgeSeth