Loading...
I got the surprise of my life when people were complaining about a DR editorial. You mean the BYH column is not the...

Four displaced after Wednesday house fire

031519Fire
1 of 3

Heavy smoke and flames damaged a home in the 200 block of South Library Street Wednesday afternoon displacing some East Carolina University students,

031519housefire-2.JPG
031519housefire-1.JPG
Loading…

By Tyler Stocks
The Daily Reflector

Thursday, March 14, 2019

Heavy smoke and flames damaged a home on South Library Street on Wednesday afternoon, displacing some East Carolina University students, Greenville Fire-Rescue officials said on Thursday. 

Twenty-one firefighters, along with members of the Greenville Police Department, responded a house in the 200 block of South Library Street shortly after 4:30 p.m. 

Radiant heat from the fire, which began in a back room, damaged a nearby home, according to Greenville Fire-Rescue Chief Eric Griffin. 

Griffin said that a deck located behind the house was scorched due to some leaves that caught fire.  

He noted that the smoke from the fire could be seen from Greenville Fire-Rescue Station No. 1, which is located at 500 S. Greene St. 

Fire crews arrived within minutes and were able to attack and contain the blaze quickly, Griffin said. 

Investigators with Greenville Fire-Rescue and Greenville Police Department have ruled the cause of the fire to be accidental.

Griffin said that the fire was related to discarded smoking materials. 

No injuries were reported, but the home did sustain major damage and the students have since been relocated.   

The home had working smoke detectors. Fire officials stressed the importance of having working smoke alarms in homes. Greenville residents can contact Greenville Fire-Rescue for assistance with checking their smoke alarms free of charge.

Loading…