Shooting near local high school was a targeted attempted murder
The Daily Reflector
Wednesday, September 11, 2019
Greenville police have made an arrest in a shooting last week that prompted a modified lockdown at nearby J.H. Rose High School.
Jessie Eric Atkinson, 27, of 1011 Van Nortwick St., was charged with attempted first-degree murder and assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill in connection with the Sept. 3 incident, according to warrants obtained Monday.
The warrants said Atkinson used a .45-caliber handgun to shoot Anthony Terrell Jones seven times in the upper thigh. Police said the shooting occurred about 1:30 p.m. in front of a home at 1504 Hooker Road.
According to Greenville Police Department spokeswoman Kristen Hunter, a school resource officer heard about the shooting over his radio and directed staff to place the school on a modified lockdown.
She said Jones has been shot in the leg in a targeted incident and that his injuries were not life threatening.
Atkinson was arrested on Sept. 4 and jailed at the Pitt County Detention Center under a $1 million bond. He remained in jail on Tuesday.
At the time of his arrest, Atkinson had an outstanding warrant for assault on a female.
The warrant said Atkinson punched a 15-year-old girl in the back. He was given a $5,000 bond on those charges.
The department released reports Monday and Tuesday with the following details and allegations:
- 2800 block South Memorial Drive, 1 p.m. Sept. 5: Equipment valued at $600 stolen from Star One Care Center; investigation ongoing.
- 3000 block South Memorial Drive, 4 p.m. Sept. 7: Tools valued at $700 stolen from vehicle; camper shell sustained $800 in damages; case inactive.
- 100 block North Elm Street, 7:30 p.m. Sept. 8: Purse and driver’s license, all valued at $80, stolen from vehicle; case inactive.
- 4100 block Rhema Street, 11:59 p.m. Sept. 9: 46-year-old woman assaulted; case inactive.
The Pitt County Sheriff’s Office released reports Monday and Tuesday with the following details and allegations:
- 2900 block Stokes Road, noon. June 1: Wildlife game camera valued at $500 stolen from wooded area; case active.
- 5600 block Hartsfield Drive, midnight. Aug. 26: Two bicycles valued at $200 stolen from home; items recovered; case cleared.
- 700 block Forlines Road, 5:30 a.m. Sept. 9: 53-year-old woman assaulted by boyfriend; case cleared; prosecution declined.