72°
Weather by

View Full Forecast

facebook Icon rss Icon twitter Icon

ECU routs UNC 70-41 Read More

Letter: ACA profits insurance industry

26 Comments | Leave a Comment

What if the Affordable Care Act is not the solution to America’s health care problems but the biggest insurance scam in American history? What if the insurance industry set out from the very beginning to con the American people into thinking that Obamacare would benefit them when, in fact, it was designed to fill the coffers of both for-profit and nonprofit medical insurance companies?

Look at the unadorned, non-partisan facts. The industries wrote the law, influence its regulation and are now profiting from it. They could not care less what the political parties think of the ACA as long as their profits are protected and enhanced.

In the meantime, the health care crisis in this country continues.

For the complete article, please pick up a copy of The Daily Reflector. Current home delivery and electronic edition subscribers may log in to access this article at no charge. To become a subscriber, please click here or contact Customer Service at (252) 329-9505.

Comments

Make your payment crusader

"North Carolina’s largest insurer is having its share of problems with the Obamacare website. Internal emails obtained by WNCN-TV show that Blue Cross Blue Shield show that only 1,000 people had filled out applications as of October 15th. In fact, only one person was able to successfully use Healthcare.gov to enroll in the new exchange. But even that single person has not paid, which means the enrollment is not complete." I would hate for you to lose your $13 ACA plan you posted about.

*did I miss it? or did no one

*did I miss it? or did no one use the word "obamacare" in the letter or the comments? *before OBAMACARE (ACA), 80% OF America's 300 million citizens had healthcare and most said they were satisfied. so, 8 out of every 10 citizens had healthcare and liked their healthcare. GUYS--THAT'S PRETTY DARNED GOOD!!! AND THE BEST HEALTHCARE IN THE WORLD! how did other industrialized, modern countries compare? not so good. *now, with OBAMACARE (ACA), the dems have upset the whole applecart. much of the middle class is losing their liked plans, paying more for the new plan, some will have no plan since they can't sign up, some stand to be fined if decide not to sign up, many folks are signing up for MEDICAID now that the plan has changed to make more people eligible. young people probably WON'T sign up--why should they--they're never sick. so, no balance to pay for the older sick folks. THIS IS A MESS... ...ALL BY DESIGN. Obama's not worried, though he may be concerned about his legacy. he'll think of something--even it it's unconstitutional--never bothered him before. in the end, he'll get his wealth re-distribution agenda through and all will be well with HIS world.

*now, if you are $poor$

*now, if you are $poor$ enough, you will be eligible for subsidies for your healthcare making it affordable--for YOU--thanks to the workers/makers who pay most of the taxes. the MIDDLE-CLASS/ MAKERS still pay much higher premiums for their healthcare. some will be unable to pay the higher premiums and will have no healthcare at all. they hope and pray they don't have a catastrophic illness and lose everything. they'll take their chances since they must pay for house, car and food. *the very poor still have Medicaid, food stamps, section 8 housing, and a myriad of other free stuff the middle class and wealthy also pay for. *the original 20% that had no healthcare?--that would be illegal aliens (not American citizens who shouldn't have been included in the first place) and the unfortunate those with pre-existing conditions who would be unable to be a part of the private ins system. MY HEART GOES OUT TO THEM--I COULD BE ONE OF THEM! *NO SYSTEM WILL MEET EVERY NEED. SO, WHY DIDN'T WE GO TO SOLVE THE NEED OF THE 20% WITH NO HEALTHCARE INSTEAD OF CHANGING A WORKING SYSTEM FOR 80% OF AMERICAN CITIZENS? WE MESSED UP AND WILL PAY IN MORE WAYS THAN WE CAN EVEN IMAGINE NOW.

*I PREDICT: AT THE END OF

*I PREDICT: AT THE END OF FIVE-TEN YEARS UNDER OBAMACARE (ACA) AMERICA WILL HAVE FEWER FOLKS ON HEALTHCARE THAN WE HAD BEFORE OBAMACARE (ACA). AND IT WILL STILL BE A MESS...more sick folks, death panels, less research, expensive meds, fewer doctors and hospitals, fewer nurses, care for the elderly--but substandard run by the gov, fewer life-saving meds, on and on. *at the cost of sounding like FUBAR---I will stop.

Maybe

Maybe its just not about you JF. Maybe your example describes you but maybe it doesn't millions of others. No system can make everybody happy but as long as you are OK the rest of us should be glad you are happy.

I95sheep

I95 wrote:
Ever heard of the United States Bill of Rghts? These amendments guarantee a number of personal freedoms, limit the government's power in judicial and other proceedings, and reserve some powers to the states and the public."THE PUBLIC". It is about about me AND you and our individual rights. It is about the fact that yes MILLIONS ARE LOSING their insurance and were lied to about that. Obama and his inner circle have no clue what insurance is best for my family nor do you. The man lied that is a fact. But you being the sheep you are attempt to make lame excuses. Sadly more people are losing their insurance than the number gaining insurance with Obamacare. You just keep bowing down.You no doubt need someone to manage your life for you. And your post proves that. Many do not need the govt making every decision and are capable of doing so on their own. And yes I would have been "OK" and was "OK" with my current policy if the liar in chief did not arrogantly and foolishly think he knows what is best for everyone. It is not about me being happy, it is about my individual right to choose. I95 which rights are you willing to happily surrender next? Cradle to grave?

Profits may be overstated

Mr. Culpepper: I don't believe insurance-company profits will be nearly as outlandish as they've been throughout that industry's history when those blood-sucking corporate prostitutes are no longer able to deny coverage to people with pre-existing conditions. Also, while I agree that a Medicare-for-all plan would be ideal, at exactly what point would you expect government-hating, minority-bashing, anti-American, Repulsivecans (uh, I mean, Republicans) and tea-bagger crackpots to agree to that?

Loyal Opposition?

Whenever Mr. Obama needs to make a decision, the Republican wait till he decides, then quickly support the opposite side of the issue. Once Mr. Obama says up, they quickly say down. If the President says go, the Republicans say stop. Actually, developing Republican strategies is a very easy job. Just wait for the President to speak, then say the opposite. Is this the role of the loyal opposition or have they become the not so loyal opposition? Keep in mind that the Massachusetts health care system after which the ACA was modeled was developed by Republicans. I find it hard to believe the Republican mantra that everything Mr. Obama does is wrong. Is he that bad that he never gets anything right? It goes back to the fundamental truth that our nation is just not yet ready for a black President even though Mr. Obama is just as much white as he is black. The same thing will happen if Hillary Clinton wins the Presidency because we are also not yet ready for an female President. Fortunately, Mrs. Clinton is getting up in her years so I doubt that a grueling Presidential campaign is in her future.

william g

william g wrote:
Get a clue. The plan in Massachusetts was developed on a state level designed to work for the population/demographics/needs of Massachusetts. It was also a bipartisan plan ,both Republicans and Democrats had iput and developed the plan. The ACA is a partisan plan with support coming only from democrats who did not care to read it or attempt to learn what was in the plan.There are so many differences in these two plans. But it is obvious you have not taken the time to learn anything about either plan.Stick to playing the race card, that works best for you and requires no thought.

When you can't win the

When you can't win the argument, cry race. This Obamacare crap was written years ago by a bunch of democrats when it was called Hillarycare. we thought it had been rightfully flushed, but It sat in the dark, and when the time was right, they blew off the dust,( forgot to re-read it), and crammed it through against the majority of the country's wishes just so we can find out whats in it. They then lied about it.(bait and switch). They hired a bunch of incompetent fools to implement it and of course the President knows nothing about it. now where's the racism ?

I95

A typical liberal democrat. Make hasty and unfounded statements, (lies) in a drive by comment and then run for cover. Only democrats get ripped off by insurance companies because they are easily fooled by snake oil salesmen like Obama, Reid and Pelosi.

UM

Math teacher all you do is insult people. Rarely do you add anything constructive. If the HC system was working so well why were so many dissatisfied?

Math, I'm Still Your Huckleberry

Oh pouting, spouting, my Math Teacher- For invective, he's the reacher- Sad his angry words belie- A gentle soul and I know why- A Democrat once called him sissy- Whereupon he threw a hissy- Fit I say, and nothing more- Quoth Math Teacher: Nevermore!

Yeah

Because we all want to go back to being ripped off by health insurance companies. Funny how the ACA haters forget that.

I95

I95 wrote:
I95 assumes everyone was getting ripped off. I used my individual right of personal choice and choose an insurance plan that was best for me and my family. I was not ripped off and actually liked my plan. I was eventually ripped off and lied to by Obama who said I could keep my plan if I liked it. I am now looking at a higher monthly premium and a higher deductible. Most people who had chosen their plans actually did like their coverage and were lied to that they could keep those plans. But I guess I could just gladly bow down like so many have and let the govt make every decision for me. I assume that is the path you have chosen.

Good Point JusticeForAll

Although pricey, my private plan through Farm Bureau was much better than the State plan. With Farm Bureau, I got name-brand meds for BP, Asthma and so forth. I found that under the State Plan, every one of my meds was questioned. Instead of ProAir, the state wanted me to get only a rescue inhaler! Luckily, my doc had a good history on me, and was able to prove, using data, that I needed the name-brand stuff. But they put the burden of proof on my doctor, who had to write letters justifying his decision. The State Health Plan gives you 1975 health care at a 2005 price, but calls it state-of-the-art care. But, never fear. Under PPACA, I'll reminisce about the "good ole days" of the NCSHP.

Culpepper

Seeks to place blame everywhere except where it belongs, with those idiots who voted for a piece of legislation that they did not read or even attempt to understand. And the man who lied and signed it into law. Those very individuals are now refusing to live under the law they passed. The average American is not afforded that special treatment. Elections have consequences and those clowns were elected to serve voters in their districts/states. But what they did with their votes was malpractice that has effected every American in an individual manner and will also effect the US economy as a whole. Many of the negative effects occurring that are causing people to lose the plans Obama lied and said they could keep were added into the law by the administration. Some were also changed to benefit members of Congress and friends of the administration.Send your letter of false blame to the White House and maybe you will get a "special friend exemption".

Move Forward

The ACA addresses a complex issue that has hog tied legislators for many decades. The chances of Congress getting it correct on the first pass are slim to none. Now is the time to tweak the law to eliminate unintended consequences. This is the normal process for any piece of complicated legislation. Instead of getting rid of the ACA completely, Republicans need to focus on modifications to the law which will retain the positive effects and mitigate the negative. But, of course, this won't happen because the Republicans are not really opposed to health care reform, they just hate President Obama and everyone knows why. The truth of the matter is that diversity is proceeding in America and efforts to go back to the good old days of the 50's will eventually fall be the wayside. Like it or not, America is changing and those who constructively make the adjustment will be rewarded by history.

william g

william g wrote:
William G blames Republicans when Democrats voted this mess into law, while the President lied and signed it into law.Nice try William with the old race card BS but the facts are not on your side.Democrats are even calling for this fiasco to be delayed.Are they also racists.Grow up.

Fix It

If you have a car problem, you get it fixed, you don't scrap the car. Why can't Congress just fix the issues with the ACA and move forward? The answer? I'll give you a hint. It starts with the letter R.

william g

william g wrote:
Sometimes the car repairs are more expensive than the car is worth and it is best to scrap the car. But some mechanics like obama did, may lie to you and tell you can keep the car if you like it.But then you find out you cant keep the car and the only one available is gonna cost you more money. Maybe if Democrats had read the bill before they passed it we would not be in this mess now.If Obama had not lied for political gain we may not be in this mess now. But with those two facts being evident I see how you can blame the Republicans.

Kudos

Thanks for reading my comments.

william g

william g wrote:
Thanks for reading my comments.
I never pass up an opportunity to have dialogue with and educate a concerned fellow american.You often make valid points so do not lose sight by playing the race card.

Yep this could have been avoided years ago when

Clinton was in office and put Hillary in charge to rein in the healthcare industry. Including doing away with pre-existing conditions, and costs. Got shot down or as I like to say "boo-hooed" by establishment and political pondits. So, now you are pissed, well, we let it happen by our ridiculous members of congress back then so now you have to live with a bill they didn't read and had NO CLUE of repercussions. Read it and weap

Errors

Typing or spelling?

What if...

You had no clue what you were talking about? You know the insurance companies just LOVE having to pay for pre-existing conditions and having to spend at least 80% of premium dollars on patient care, vs the 60-70% they used to spend.

Login or register to post comments
Bless your heart