Williamston – Flames have been seen shooting into the air near the intersection of Haughton and Main streets since mid-day Monday.
This going on at the construction site for the new Williamston Police Department.
According to Chief Michael Peaks with Williamston Fire-Rescue-EMS, a valve was damage on an underground propane tank during construction.
Peaks explained the only way to safely remove the contents of the tank was to burn it off, which resulted in the flames seen by passersby.
NC Hazardous Materials Regional Response Team’s RRT-1, housed at the Williamston Fire Department, responded to the site along with Williamston Fire-Rescue-EMS.
Peaks said this was a good example of how fortunate we are to have this unit stationed within the county.
Crews will be on scene until the propane is brunt out and the tank has been emptied.