Police responding to a call of shots fired arrested a man with a shotgun for driving under the influence.
The incident took place on East First Street about 2:25 a.m. on May 29, according to reports from the Greenville Police Department.
An officer found Sean Michael Helm, 23, of 3112 Cypress View Drive, Greenville, behind the wheel of a vehicle and commanded him to exit. Helm initially refused and reports indicate he also refused to place his hands on his head.
Helm was found to have fired a Yldiz Silah Sanayi TK-12 shotgun. No injuries were reported.
A report said that he had glassy eyes and a strong odor of alcohol on his breath. His blood alcohol content was 0.13.
Helm was arrested and charged with misdemeanors for discharging a firearm in city limits, resisting a public officer and driving while impaired. He was jailed at the Pitt County Detention Center under a $3,000 secured bond.
Helm has a prior DWI from December 2019.
He was among 13 people charged with impaired driving according to law enforcement and court records available from May 26-31. In other cases:
- Paul Edwards, 30, of 110 Wyndham Circle, Greenville, was stopped by Ayden police at 2:17 a.m. on May 30 for speeding on N.C. 11 near Jolly Road. A report said that Edwards had a strong odor of alcohol on his breath, red, glassy eyes and was slurring his speech. His blood alcohol content was 0.12.
- Michael Fisher, 41, of 1200 Macon St., Kinston, was stopped for speeding and reckless driving at 11:59 p.m. on May 31 by the State Highway Patrol. Fisher also had a fake tag on his vehicle. The trooper found probable cause to arrest him for DWI though Fisher refused a blood alcohol test.
- Eduardo Hernandez-Huerta, 32, of 5870 N.C. 118, Grifton, was stopped by Grifton police at 10:15 p.m. on May 26 on Main Street. His blood alcohol content was 0.19.
- Patrick Houck, 48, of 5688 N.C. 903, Ayden, was stopped by Ayden police for a rear light infraction on N.C. 11 at 11:18 p.m. on May 29. His blood alcohol content was 0.13.
- Billy Johnson, 59, of 1812 W. Conley St., Greenville, was stopped by the State Highway Patrol after failing to stop at a red light. The trooper found probable cause to arrest Johnson for DWI, though he refused a blood alcohol test. Johnson has prior DWI arrests from January 2015 and September 2017.
- Alejandro Manan, 26, of 818 New River Drive, Surf City, was stopped for driving recklessly and over the speed limit by the State Highway Patrol at 3:16 a.m. on May 30 on Evans Street in Greenville. A report said Manan had red, glassy eyes and a strong odor of alcohol on his breath. His blood alcohol content was 0.11.
- Roy Lee Peterson, 61, of 113 Oakdale Road, Greenville, was stopped in Winterville by the State Highway Patrol for driving with a revoked license. A report said that Peterson had red eyes and was unsteady on his feet. An open container of alcohol was found in his vehicle. His blood alcohol content was 0.10.
- Kandace Sanderson, 39, of 796 Church Road, Pink Hill, was stopped by Ayden police on N.C. 11 at 4:01 p.m. on May 27. Reports said Sanderson was driving recklessly and aggressively with a revoked license prior to the stop. An open container of alcohol was found in her vehicle, as were marijuana and drug paraphernalia. She was charged with possession of marijuana, possession of paraphernalia and DWI. Her blood alcohol content was 0.09.
- Brian Staton, 25, of 106 Moore St., Greenville, was stopped by the State Highway Patrol at 2:24 a.m. on May 30, on Mill Hole Road near Kent Roberson Road after failing to stop at a stop sign. An open container of alcohol was in his vehicle according to a report, which noted that Staton had an odor of alcohol on his breath and slurring his speech. He had two positive reads on a field sobriety test, as well as a blood alcohol content of 0.14.
- Derrick Taylor, 29, of 478 House Road, Bethel, was found by the State Highway Patrol at 10:21 p.m. on May 26 on Mills Road near N.C. 43. Taylor had run his car off the right side of the road into a ditch and struck a road sign. A report noted that he had red, glassy eyes and a strong odor of alcohol. His blood alcohol content was 0.16.
- Antonio Teel, 26, of 2901 Cedar Creek Road, Greenville, was stopped by Ayden police at 3:10 a.m. on May 29 on N.C. 11 near Reedy Branch Road. Reports said Teel failed to maintain lane control. The officer noted an odor of alcohol and Teel’s red, glassy eyes. His blood alcohol content was 0.11.
- Michael Whitehurst,