A Greenville man is facing felony child abuse charges after he allegedly assaulted his 15-year-old stepson and wife last week, according to a Pitt County Sheriff’s Office incident report and warrants obtained on Monday.
The assaults took place on Thursday about 6 a.m. at a home located on BB Lane, the report states.
Joshua Andrew Rhodes, 37, of 1214 BB Lane, allegedly applied pressure to his stepson’s throat to the point where the boy almost passed out. He also allegedly put him in a chokehold using his forearm and bicep, warrants indicate.
The warrants also state Rhodes punched the boy who had bruises on his face and marks on his neck.
Rhodes’ also allegedly assaulted a 35-year-old Grimesland woman who is listed as a spouse in the incident report. No injuries were listed for her.
The case remains active and Rhodes was placed in the Pitt County Detention Center under a $85,000 bond.
His next court date is on Feb. 18.
BB gun damages Gather Uptown property
A disgruntled former tenant used a BB-gun to shoot the lobby doors of the Gather Uptown apartment building along with several computers inside about 3 a.m. on Jan. 28, according to law enforcement records obtained on Monday.
Andres Rafael Vega, 26, of 204 Orlando Drive, was charged by the Greenville Police Department with discharging a firearm in an enclosure to incite fear, injury to real property, attempted breaking an entering and damaging computers at the building at 400 S. Greene St.
Police department spokeswoman Kristen Hunter said on Monday that no one was inside the lobby at the time of the incident. Warrants indicate eight Apple Mac desktops and one HP Pavillion desktop computer were shot along with two entrance glass doors.
The damage is estimated at $10,000. Vega was arrested on Feb. 6 for the crimes and is out on bond awaiting trial, according to court records. His next court date is Feb. 18.
The police department released reports on Feb. 10 with the following details and allegations:
- 3100 block Evans Street, 5:47 p.m. Feb. 9: Amazon Fire Stick valued at $100 stolen from Best Buy; item recovered; cleared by arrest.
- 3000 block Evans Street, 9:54 p.m. Feb. 8: Boots valued at $119.99 stolen from Shoe Carnival; cleared by arrest.
- 100 block East Fifth Street, 7:36 p.m. Feb. 8: Chalkboard sign valued at $200 stolen from The Blackened Kraken: investigation ongoing.
- 3000 block Evans Street, 6:01 p.m. Feb. 8: Cosmetics, bread and gift bag valued at $79.83 stolen from Target; investigation ongoing.
- 700 block Southeast Greenville Boulevard, 1:34 p.m. Feb. 8: Jacket valued at $225 stolen from Belk; case inactive.
- 400 block Student Street, 3:13 a.m. Feb. 8: Car keys, house keys and handbag valued at $5,000 stolen from home; door sustained $300 in damages; investigation ongoing.
- 3200 block East 10th Street, 3 a.m. Feb. 11: Window screen with frame valued at $30 stolen from 33 East Apartments; investigation ongoing.
- 600 block West 14th Street, 9:11 p.m. Feb. 10: Home broken into; no further details available; investigation ongoing.
- 3900 block West Vancroft Circle, 5:47 p.m. Feb. 10: Home broken into; Shower flooring and window sustained $500 in damages; case cleared; victim refused to cooperate.
- 1400 block Polk Avenue, 1:30 a.m. Feb. 10: Two cartons of cigarettes valued at $125 and $830 cash stolen from vehicle; investigation ongoing.
- 2100 block Silver Maple Lane, 8 p.m. Feb. 9: Camera and laptop valued at $2,100 stolen from apartment; investigation ongoing.
- 3500 block Willow Run Drive, 10:40 p.m. Feb. 10: 21-year-old woman assaulted by acquaintance; minor injuries reported; cleared by arrest.
- 400 block Wyatt Street, 1:29 a.m. Feb. 10: 27-year-old woman assaulted by boyfriend/girlfriend; case inactive.
- 100 block Chandler Drive, 6 p.m. Feb. 9: 49-year-old woman assaulted by boyfriend/girlfriend; minor injuries reported; investigation ongoing.
- 100 block Harbor Pointe Drive, 4:54 p.m. Feb. 9: 23-year-old woman assaulted by boyfriend/girlfriend; cleared by arrest.
- 800 block East First Street, midnight. Feb. 9: 21-year-old woman assaulted by boyfriend/girlfriend; minor injuries reported; case inactive.
- 900 block Verdant Drive, 10:43 p.m. Feb. 8: 19-year-old woman assaulted by unknown person; minor injuries reported; case inactive.
- 3400 block South Memorial Drive, 4:58 p.m. Feb. 8: 46-year-old employee at Academy Sports assaulted; minor injuries reported; shoes valued at $300 stolen; investigation ongoing.
- 3300 block Frontgate Drive, 1:18 p.m. Feb. 8: 31-year-old man assaulted; minor injuries reported; investigation ongoing.
- 3200 block East 10th Street, 10:30 p.m. Feb. 9: Apartment door sustained $50 in damages; case inactive.
- 90 block Kristin Drive, 1:28 p.m. Feb. 8: Vehicle sustained $400 in damages; case inactive.
The Pitt County Sheriff’s Office released reports on Feb. 10 with the following details and allegations:
- 5600 block Rivercreek Drive, Washington, 1:08 p.m. Feb. 7: Home broken into; window sustained $100 in damages; case closed; leads exhausted.
- 1600 block Bradford Place, 12:01 a.m. Feb. 7: $12 cash stolen from unlocked vehicle; case active.
- 2700 block Oakley Road, Stokes, 11:09 a.m. Feb. 8: Power tools valued at $1,000 stolen from home; case active.
- 6400 block Boss Mclawhorn Road, Grifton, 11:35 a.m. Feb. 10: Generator valued at $1,000 stolen from home; shed door frame sustained $100 in damages; case active.
- 1600 block Deejay Lane, 6:37 p.m. 33-year-old woman assaulted by common-law spouse; minor injuries reported; case active.
500 block Seville Road, 11:19 a.m. Feb. 9: 56-year-old woman assaulted by known person; minor injuries reported; case unfounded.
- 1500 block Unity Lane, 1:12 p.m. Feb. 7: Car windshield sustained $300 in damages; case closed; leads exhausted.
- 300 block Williams Street, 12:26 p.m. Feb. 8: Vehicle sustained $200 in damages; case closed; leads exhausted.
- 200 block West Ninth Street, 8:30 a.m. Feb. 7: Vehicle sustained $500 in damages; case active.