Eastern North Carolina voters have a final chance to select the man who will replace the late Walter B. Jones Jr. in Congress.
The special election for the 3rd Congressional District is today from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. in 17 counties extending from Onslow County to the Virginia line and from the coast to Pitt County.
Four candidates are on today’s ballot: Democrat Allen Thomas, Republican Greg Murphy, Libertarian Tim Harris and Constitution Party candidate Greg Holt.
Pitt County is split between the 3rd and 1st Congressional District. The following 23 precincts are in the 3rd Congressional District and will be open today:
- Arthur: Antioch Church Ministries, 2659 Railroad St., Bell Arthur
- Ayden A: Ayden Christian Church, 462 Second St., Ayden
- Ayden B: Ayden Community Building, 548 Second St., Ayden
- Chicod: Black Jack Free Will Baptist Church, 2972 Black Jack Simpson Road
- Falkland: Falkland Community Building, 5901 S. Main St., Falkland
- Farmville A: Farmville Community Center, 3886 South Main St., Farmville
- Farmville B: Farmville Presbyterian Church, 4138 Grimmersburg St., Farmville
- Fountain: Fountain Fire Department, 3642 S. Lynch St., Fountain
- Grifton: Grifton Fire/Police Building, 6881A S. Highland Ave., Grifton
- Grimesland: Grimesland Town Hall, 7594 S. Pitt St., Grimesland
- Simpson A: Eastern Pines Church of Christ, 3380 Portertown Road
- Simpson B: Salem United Methodist Church, 785 McDonald St., Simpson
- Swift Creek: Gardnerville Fire Station, 9521 County Home Road, Ayden
- Winterville West: Christ's Church, 745 Davenport Farm Road, Winterville
- Winterville South: Winterville Operations Center, 2936 Church St., Winterville
- Winterville North: Winterville Fire Station Community Room, 2593 Railroad St., Winterville
- Greenville No. 9: Hooker Memorial Christian Church, 1111 SE Greenville Blvd.
- Greenville No. 10A: Oakmont Baptist Church, 1100 Red Banks Road
- Greenville No. 10B: First Christian Church, 2810 E. 14th St.
- Greenville No. 11A: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, 307 Martinsborough Road
- Greenville No. 11B: First Free Will Baptist Church, 2426 South Charles Blvd.
- Greenville No. 13A: Covenant Church, 4000 Corey Road, Winterville
- Greenville No. 13B: Wave Church, 2600 East Fire Tower Road
Two precincts, Arthur and Greenville No. 9 are divided between the two congressional districts. Voters should use the “Voter/Absentee Lookup” tool on the State Board of Elections website, www.ncsbe.gov, to determine which Congressional District they live in.
Pitt County Elections Director Dave Davis said the polling location for Chicod precinct, Black Jack Free Will Baptist Church, will be in the church’s fellowship hall instead of the gym because of construction.
Greenville No. 9’s polling place will be inside Hooker Memorial Christian Church’s main building because repairs are underway at the fellowship hall, which was vandalized shortly before the July 9 runoff election in the Republican primary for the 3rd Congressional District seat.
While Hurricane Dorian forced Pitt County to cancel the final two days of the traditional early voting calendar, a special day of early voting held on Saturday resulted in 825 ballots being cast, the largest single-day turnout of the entire early voting period, according to Pitt County elections board information. The county’s total early vote turn out was 6,550.
Republican voters made up the largest group of early voters at 2,465. There were 2,313 Democrats and 1,766 Libertarians casting ballots during the early-voting period. No one registered with the Constitution Party voted.