A man who shot and killed a local rapper at a chicken restaurant in July will not face charges, the Pitt County District Attorney’s announced on Monday.

Cortavius “Doot” Arrington, 21, was killed by shots to the head and neck during a fight in the parking lot of the Chicken Shack, 425 Hooker Road, about 6:30 p.m. on July 21, authorities reported. Arrington’s friend, C-Allah Coombs Jr., 22, was shot in the arm.

The evidence indicates that the individual who shot Arrington “reasonably believed it was necessary to use deadly force to protect himself from death or serious bodily injury,” a news release stated. Because the individual acted in self-defense, he is immune from criminal liability under the state laws, the release said.

Prior altercation

Tension between Arrington and the man who shot him began weeks prior to the July incident, the DA’s office said. Evidence indicates there was an altercation instigated by Arrington and his associates.

A woman had accused Arrington and his associates of taking her wallet. When the man who later shot Arrington greeted the woman in a familiar manner, Arrington and his associates confronted him about the woman’s accusations, according to the news release.

When he attempted to disengage them, the situation escalated. Another man who was with him at the time was assaulted. The man was able to leave the scene in his vehicle, the release said.

Second confrontation

The DA’s office said Arrington and three others encountered the same man again as they were leaving the Chicken Shack parking lot a few weeks later. The man had just made a purchase and was returning to his Jeep, which was parked in front of the store. Upon recognizing the man, Arrington allegedly stopped his truck, backed it up and exited. As he approached the man, Arrington told his three associates to come with him.

At this time, the man was seated in the driver’s seat of his Jeep. He had come to the store alone and he was alone inside his vehicle. Beside him on his seat was a pistol. Records indicate that the pistol was registered to him and he possessed a valid concealed-carry permit, the release said.

As Arrington and his associates approached, the individual spotted them through his rear-view window. Two men approached the driver’s side door of the Jeep, and Arrington was facing the driver’s side window. A fourth man briefly stopped at the rear of the individual’s vehicle.

The man told Arrington and his associates, “I don’t want no problems.” One of Arrington’s associates later confirmed he made this statement, the release said.

Arrington and the others began to confront the man about the prior incident.

One of Arrington’s associates reached into the Jeep and struck the individual with his fist. The individual repeated to Arrington and the others, “I don’t want no problems.” Arrington reached into the Jeep and struck the individual again, the release said.

After being assaulted twice, the individual reached for his pistol and fired it out of his window five times. Two shots struck Arrington and a single shot struck one of Arrington’s associates, the release said.

Immediately upon firing his weapon, the man left the premises in his Jeep, collected other firearms from his residence and drove himself to the Pitt County Detention Center. While en route to the detention center, he called 911, admitted his involvement in the shooting and stated he was turning himself into custody, the release said.

He was told to pull over and did so, placing his firearms on the curb. He surrendered to law enforcement and was fully cooperative in their investigation, the news release said. He provided a full statement on the incident to detectives with the Greenville Police Department, describing the prior altercation with Arrington and the confrontation and assault at the Chicken Shack.

The DA’s office noted that while being attacked, the shooter was outnumbered four to one and was alone in his vehicle.

“These circumstances establish a presumption that the individual who shot Mr. Arrington reasonably believed it was necessary to discharge his firearm to protect himself from imminent death or serious bodily injury,” the release stated. “Because the individual acted in self-defense, he is immune from criminal liability under the laws of our state.”

Contact Tyler Stocks at tstocks@reflector.com or 252-329-9566. Follow him on Twitter @StocksGDR.