The resumption of North Carolina high school athletics will be delayed further.
In a statement Monday, the North Carolina High School Athletic Association announced that interscholastic sports will be suspended until at least May 18. This comes after Governor Roy Cooper’s executive order closing all North Carolina public schools through May 15th.
All of the measures are in response to the COVID-19 pandemic that’s spreading throughout the United States and across the World.
“The NCHSAA Board of Directors and staff will use the next few weeks to weigh our future decisions based on the new directions given by Governor Cooper, other government leaders, and organizations charged with public health and safety during this unprecedented time,” NCHSAA commissioner Que Tucker said in the statement. “Such decisions will include the possible resumption of spring sports’ competition and the possibility of holding the state basketball championships.”
On March 12, NCHSAA announced that the state basketball championships had been postponed indefinitely. In addition, all spring sports were suspended until April 6 at the time.
Both Farmville Central basketball teams were scheduled to compete for state championships on March 14. Instead, that along with spring sports will be put on hold for longer than first thought.
“While we remain hopeful that we will be able to resume competition, particularly for our senior student-athletes,” Tucker said, “we also recognize the need to protect the health and safety of our students, coaches and the communities we serve.”